Product Designer in Austin, Texas
I'm a designer who helps companies build amazing products. I focus on design strategy, high-level user experience, beautifully-detailed user interface design, and interaction and motion prototyping. But more than just amazing products, I help build successful and sustainable companies.
Most recently, I've been a principal designer at NetSpend. I've been at NetSpend for 4 years. I joined as one of the first product designers. Around my second year, the company was bought for $1.4B. Now, the team has grown to more than twenty designers, whose work benefits millions of customers every day.
At NetSpend, I lead the design of our distributed in-browser and in-app banking products and the platforms and patterns that power them. Before NetSpend, I worked with mostly startups, leading small, lean teams on big, fat projects.
My design philosophy:
I move fast and ship.
I talk to users and with leadership to make sure we're building the right things. I build products for the people that will use them. I listen to those people. I champion for those people. In the end, I design products that are incredibly beautiful, delightful, and engaging.
‣ I believe that great design happens within constraints.
‣ I believe that products are made useful and valuable through collaboration.
‣ I believe that great products are simple and intuitive because of the thought, care, and expertise put into them.
‣ I believe there's time in every project to do something totally new.
‣ I believe there's a place in every project to use what we already know.
‣ I believe in the power of the design sprint.
‣ I believe in designing to instill emotion.
‣ I believe in working with the best people I can find.