Beto Gonzalez Campos
Multicultural Student and Leader in Cleveland, Estados Unidos
Nickname: Beto Gonzalez /BE-toh GAHN-za-luhz/
Hola! My full name is Jose Alberto Gonzalez Campos, but almost all my friends and colleagues on campus just call me Beto. I am a Mexican International Engineering Junior at CWRU (yea, I know, long description). My interests range from Mexican Soccer to Salsa Dancing. I am also in love with Aviation and Airplanes, as well as the Star Wars saga and DC Comic Universe (not Marvel).
Due to this passion for aircraft, I am pursuing my degree in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering. The MechE part was due to the double majoring option that Case provides, and it was a great decision (though, #TeamNoSleep). Also, since my first two years have been focusing on my mechanical track, I have developed an interest in the design process of products that could have impacts globally, specially in developing nations.
During my college career, I have developed academic and personal interests for:
- Renewable energy and sustainability
- Thermal-fluid sciences, dynamics, and combustion
- Human-centered design processes
- Diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Latinx empowerment and advocacy, through La Alianza, the Latino cultural group on-campus.
- Accessibility to resources for minority STEM students.
- Indian culture (that is why I study abroad in south India this past Summer 2016).
- Latin music dancing (either Salsa, Bachata, Merengue, (but mostly salsa)).
My main priority and activity this year, besides school work, has been serving as President for the CWRU Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers Chapter. I have been working with other five executive board students to ameliorate and give opportunities to Hispanics and other minority STEM students on campus. We facilitate our members with resources, scholarships and specific programming that can help them and us grow as leaders. Our mission is to make sure our members graduate successfully and together, inside a SHPE Familia!
For a final thought and reflection:
For me, being a real leader goes beyond the self, it is the representation of my essence s