Born in the year 1985, Kunnakkudi M. Balamurali Krishna is one of India’s top young vocalists. His father, Sri Meenakshi Sundaram, also his first guru, is also a musician and an eminent teacher. Balamurali also had training under Sri Neyveli Santhanagopalan and Sri V.Sundaresan. He has been under the tutelage of Padma Bhushan Sri P.S.Narayanaswami since 1993.
Balamurali is also an accomplished Mridangist. After training from Nagai Sri Bashyam, he has been receiving advanced training under Guru Kaaraikudi Mani. This rare feature helps him appreciate the intricacies of rhythm from a young age.
His music is highly innovative, yet, within the strict parameters of tradition. Balamurali’s music is at a different level, rarely found in musicians of his age. His Alapanas are galvanizing and his natural flair for laya has left audiences awestruck all over the world. He has made his mark as an exponent of intricate pallavis. Style and content go hand in hand to make him an artiste reaching for the pinnacles of Carnatic Music.
• The Young Star Award (2008) from Srishti’s Carnatica
• Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam Asthana Vidwan (2007)
• Best Junior Vocalist from Karthik Fine Arts (2006-07)
• Outstanding Young Artiste from Nadalaya (2000)
• Title of “Ganamruthamani” from Sri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam
• Title of ‘Yuvakalajyothi’ from Veda Parayana Trust
• Title of ‘Yuva Kala Bharathi’ from Bharath Kalachar
• ‘A’ graded artiste of All India Radio
• Ghantasala award (2008), Guntur
• TAG award (2009)