UX Director in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hi, I’m Matt Griffin, a design leader who cares a whole heck of a lot. I solve deep, gnarly product and organizational problems. I build, empower, aim, and inspire world-class design teams so they can make things people love to use.
I love collaborating with those unique people who help make the work better, more fun, and the mission feel more important – and hope to have the same effect on them every day. I seek out people and cultures like this, because I believe it’s one of the most important keys to doing truly great work.
I’ve been at Shopify since 2017, where I’ve lead design and UX for some of the most important products in e-commerce: Shopify Payments, Shopify Capital, Shop Pay, Shop Pay Installments, Shop Cash, Sign in with Shop, Shopify Balance, Billing, Taxes, and more. Currently, I’m the UX Director of Payments, where I’m responsible for products which generate over half of Shopify’s revenue.
In the past I’ve:
- Spent 9.5 years as the founder, CEO, and Head of Design of Bearded, an internationally-recognized, award-winning boutique design agency in Pittsburgh, PA
- Given keynote talks at industry-leading design conferences across the US, in Brazil, and in Australia
- Published 15 articles for the venerable web design outlet A List Apart and elsewhere, including lots of influential internal writing at Shopify
- Made a feature length documentary about the web starring Tim Berners-Lee and many other people who were key in the creation of the web
- Played in a bunch of indie rock bands, toured all over the world, and got kind of famous in Japan in the 90’s and early 2000's
Here are things people have said about me at work recently: