I've spent 25 years in science publishing as an editor, author, and now publisher. I'm the founding editor of Nature Genetics and Bio-IT World, and former Editor-in-Chief at Cell Press. I'm the author of three books:
- BREAKTHROUGH (1995, co-authored with Michael White); the race to discover the BRCA1 breast cancer gene
- CRACKING THE GENOME (2000) -- published in the UK as THE SEQUENCE and translated into 15 languages; and most recently,
- THE $1,000 GENOME(Free Press, 2010) -- the revolution in next-gen sequencing and personal genomics.
- Currently working on 2nd edition of DNA: The Secret of Life,with Jim Watson
- I served as the genetics consultant on the 2014 film Decoding Annier Parker,starring Helen Hunt, Aaron Paul and Samantha Morton. (I'm in the credits following Aaron Paul's guitar coach.)