K. Johnson Bowles
Fundraiser, Consultant, and Strategic Planner in Geneseo, NY
Academic, Advancement and Strategic Planning Consultant
The common threads that create a foundation for my life's work are an unyielding focus on student success, the belief in the power of education and the ability to galvanize people to focus on a shared vision. I am a resilient, steadfast, principles-driven higher education leader, social justice advocate, and artist focused on realizing a greater good for all.
• Thirty years in higher education with experience as a senior administrator and faculty member specializing in fundraising, strategic planning, community engagement, and management.
• Service to national, state, and regional boards including appointment by Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe to The Library of Virginia Board, appointment by the City Council of Asheville, NC to the Public Art and Cultural Commission, and election to WCQS, National Public Radio of Western NC.
• American Council on Education Fellow, Harvard Management Institute Fellow, and the Grace B. Harris Leadership Institute Fellow (Virginia Commonwealth University).
• As a senior administrator, guided institutions in the creation, approval, and implementation of strategic plans, emergency plans, policies, university-wide policies and procedures, acquisitions (intellectual and physical property), and operational articulation agreements.
• As a scholar, curated more than 125 exhibitions of national and international significance (American, African, and Chinese art); published more than sixty catalogues, critical essays, and articles. Exhibitions, scholarship, and supporting materials received recognition from the AAM, IMLS, CASE, and NEA, among others.
• As a visual artist, exhibited artwork in more than seventy solo and group juried shows throughout the US; winner of NEA individual fellowship, and Houston Center for Photography fellowship.
FUNDRAISING AND CAPITAL DEVELOPMENT
• Secured numerous seven-figure and six-figure gifts. Expertise in individual, corporate, and foundation giving, including donor cultivation, proposal development, solicitation, negotiation, and binding gift agreements.
ENGAGEMENT AND COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS
• Seasoned communicator with internal and external audiences, including trustees, senior administrators, donors, corporate executives, scholars, civic leaders, and public officials.