Dr. Prahalathan KK
Social Innovator, Impact Leader, and Doctor - Opthalmologist in Chennai, India
I co-founded Bhumi - one of India’s largest non-profit volunteer organisations enabling thousands across India to volunteer for education and civic issues.
Further to creating a sustainable model that engages over 20,000 volunteers across 10 cities in India, I started the ‘Chennai Auto’ campaign in 2012 to bring back auto meters in Chennai. Over 16,000 people signing my online petition, compelling the state government to implement a fare revision, and making meter usage compulsory for auto rickshaws.
I quit ophthalmology a couple of years back to join Bhumi full-time. My role currently involves strategic planning, project management, and partnerships. I am a GAP changemaker and Gratitude Network Fellow.
Awards & Recognition received:
· Take Care India & Dr.APJ Abdul Kalam International Foundation’s Youth Icon Award, 2016
· Sathyabama University’s Jeppiaar Icon Award, 2016
· The Weekend Leader’s Unsung Hero of Tamil Nadu, 2015
· Atchaya Foundation’s Seva Ratna Award, 2013
· Lions Club District 324 A8’s Beacon of Hope Award, 2012