Sangli, MH, India
Sangli, MH, India
I’m Shruti and I am a quilter from India. I know you're here because you want to know me better. So here are 10 random things about me!
1. I almost forgot, I am an architect by profession. I took up quilting on a sabbatical and got so hooked onto it that I now refuse to go back to my full time job!
2. I have a lovely 450 square feet studio in Sangli, a small town in India. I love every moment that I spend there!
3. I am a self taught quilter. I have always relied a lot on the online quilting community for guidance as well as inspiration. At the same time, I have experimented a lot with the available material – first because that was what was available to me and now because I enjoy it!
4. I love making portrait quilts. The first one I made was my husband's great-grandfather's. After making that one, using more than 3500 pieces of appliqué over a period of 3 months, I knew there had to be an easier way. It was when I made the Steve Jobs portrait that I came up with the Reverse Appliqué Technique.
5. I launched my eBook - “ABOUT face : Portrait quilts using reverse appliqué technique” on Thanksgiving 2014. If you would like to buy it go to www.fatquartershop.com and look into the PDF patterns section.
6. I hate being photographed. I always find faults in every photo of mine, but others somehow love it.
7. I live with my wonderful husband Rohit, my super energetic son, Aadi and my awesome in-laws (I'll tell you a secret, they support me much more than anyone else!)
8. I am scared of swimming. I took swimming lessons and everything was okay until it was time to let go of the instructor's hand. I just did that one day and promptly fell sick the next day. So have never managed to swim. Aadi has promised to teach me though.
9. My favorite holiday destination is Goa. I love going there. Its my dream to own a small cottage in Goa and go and live there after I grow old.
10. My favorite sewing machine is Ross - my Bernina 710. He is a work horse! And super neat and nerdy. My dream machine is the Bernina Q24 on a frame!
Want to know more?
Visit me at www.13woodhouseroad.com